Saturday, March 28, 2009

Does the name Susan Lowenstein ring a bell?

If it doesn't, you really should become acquainted. Here. Let me help you get caught up. In an attempt to stay current and relevant, I'm trying to catch up on the Oscar nominated movies. I'm in 1991. I know. Pretty good, right? Last night I watched The Prince of Tides. Has anyone seen this film yet? Gosh darn it I really liked that God damned movie, and for all the - I'm sure - obvious reasons. For starters, Tom (Nick Nolte) just makes me want to be a better person. Period. Next, Barbara if you're reading this, can you please have your character, Susan Lowenstein, give me a ring? Stat! I really connected to your (her, her, I mean her) style of therapy. Although Barbara, it was you who breathed life into that role. You did that. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a swinger or anything, but that scene toward the end when a shirtless Tom is holding Lowenstein curled up in fetal position wearing an oversized pink sweater and striped tube socks while rocking in a rocking chair touched my very core. I just wanted to curl up right in between the two of them and chat for hours. Just talk, talk, talk their ears off! That image completed me, but there was more. George Carlin played a gay. Yes. GEORGE CARLIN. A gay! That's like Pearl, the old lady from 227, playing a sorority co-ed. It's genius. In my humble opinion he was robbed of the best supporting actor nod. And now he's dead. Bravo. Bravo! 

(In a related story, I'm currently watching the entire Sopranos series on Netflix DVD. God. That's the way to do it. Watch series television, that is. Anyway, Tony Soprano sent his therapist, Dr. Melfi, a basket of goodies with a bottle of Tide in it, signing the card "Your Prince of Tides." What a simple minded gumba. That man has no couth. Coming from me, that says a lot. Did somebody fart?)

No comments:

Post a Comment