Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Well that's just good.


"Hey you. Have a second to talk? Awesome. Naw, go 'head and leave the door open. It's hot out. How are you by the way? Oh. Thass good. I already know you won't agree, and don't get me wrong, I don't mind when people use well because in this particular case it's grammatically correct, and if you prefer to always be that way, fine. You get into a habit. You use it. It's correct. I can respect that. But when you think you know something I don't, c'mon. Jesus H Christ, that's just dumb. Thanks for the quick chat! Stay well now, ya hear." (Excerpt from my new book, Converse Satin wit God.)

Here's a lih-ull story. I lived in LA a couple of years. Across the courtyard lived a Producer from Scrubs. Nice enough guy. (Oooh. One of Heidi's hookers lived next door, btw.) Anyway, one sunny weekend day we crossed paths. He asked, "how are you?" Like I said, it was sunny, Saturday, I was outside with my dog so I enthusiastically replied, "I'm goood." Stretching the word and lowering my voice. This was West Hollywood, mind you. Of course then I replied in kind. His answer, "I'm well, thank you." Not because he was, in fact, well, but because I was good. Know what I mean? I wanted to say, "Really? You're well. That's too bad. You're not ill? And you're grammatically correct. Albeit, two wonderful things to be, I'm sorry. I'm good. I'm a good cook. I'm good at sports. I'm good in bed. I got a good haircut. I feel good. I'm good to go. I'm gooood. I'm really really good. Ok. Be well and stay it." *wink and a nod* "And please keep those laughs coming on that show! It's a riot!"

(Keep doing what you do because you do it, not because someone else doesn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment