Monday, April 20, 2009

Fromoutta - not fromunda - Fromage

I had the pleasure of spending this past Friday evening with my dear friend Sally - whom I sat next to for three years at Charles Schwab in San Francisco - and her good friend's Linda and Scott - whom I'd like to think of as my friends now. We had dinner at John's in the East Village. The biggest surprise of the evening was the Spedino Mozzarella Romana. (Sally would gladly debate the grammatical gender correctness of the name, but hey, that's how they had it listed on the menu.) It's a baked and deep-fried mozzarella loaf with caper and anchovy sauce. Holy cow! It's from out of this fucking world, and now I crave nothing else. I plan on eating this as often as possible. I also plan on having a heart transplant.

(Honestly, it was the perfect combination of savory and sweet. Like a doughnut with cheese and the perfect sauce. Exquisite photo by Sally. Old elbow in background by Tony.)

No comments:

Post a Comment