Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Poppa Cherry


When you pop a cherry tomato directly from the fridge into your mouth more often than not there is a hint of farty flavor. I'm not kidding. Try it. You'll see what I mean. It's not just my fridge either. I've noticed it for years, in many apartments, in many cities, with many batches of cherry tomatoes. I just never before had the forum to discuss this phenomenon. Yet I still buy them, wash them, throw them in the fridge and pop them in my mouth. My mom always told me I was a glutton for punishment. I suppose that might be true. I think it may be the washing them and directly throwing them in the fridge part that may produce this unique produce flavor - an acquired taste.

(I thought this picture was oddly appropriate for this post. I took it at a bus stop on 5th Ave. It looks like she probably has some farty flavor. Or possibly just bad gas. Click on the pic and look closely. You can see me in Rachael Ray's side bang. Update: Dang it! I was hoping that if you Googled Rachael Ray's side bang, my post would come up. Oh well. Can't blame a guy for tryin'.)

1 comment:

  1. My mother has always hated cherry tomatoes, perhaps, inadvertently, this is why?

    ReplyDelete