Thursday, September 17, 2009

Assteroids

I'm a sucker for a good ad, and I personally think this is advertising at it's very best. See? Someone even tried to snatch it it's so first-class. Okay. Okay. You got me. It was me. I got busted trying to swipe it on my way to the Post Office the other morning. I sassed the officer explaining I wasn't prepared with pen and paper and desperately needed this clinic. He threw shade back and said this wasn't a mobile clinic but simply an ad for one, and advised me to pull up my pants and scat. He added, "pen and paper, phooey, what you really need are Tucks and Preparation H." Just joshin. Like the fuzz would really say phooey. What I really thought was this oversized print would have looked fabulous on my exposed brick wall, not my exposed buttock. I can appreciate art.

Although the dangling billboard was flapping in the wind, I just couldn't capture a good snapshot of the entire message, and frankly was a wee bit embarrassed while taking the pic.  Let me break it down.

It says:
GOT HEMORRHOIDS?
SAY NO TO SURGERY
Contact the Proctology clinic
(however, no contact info)

Now that I have fully assimilated the message, I think all they did was filch and fuse two highly celebrated campaigns of the last couple decades: Got Milk? and Say No To Drugs! Perhaps this ad can be considered some sort of PSA (Please Service your Ass) in it's own right. Maybe they should try to attract top-name talent to pose bent over pantless displaying some sort of mustachioed browneye. Wouldn't that be brilliant? Any which way, I love it!

I really thought the graphic was a nice touch too, but I think they didn't quite achieve their ultimate goal. I know the O in proctology is supposed to represent a bumm (British slang for butt), but to me it looks like a Georgia peach. The ad sort of implies to say no to surgery and they'll shove velvety fruits up your arse (British slang for ass) to take care of your piles (British slang for hemorrhoids). Again, I just love it.

(For anyone who would like to see the ad full monty, you can check it out on Bedford just south of President in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. While supplies last, so hurry. Don't walk, run!)

No comments:

Post a Comment